FINAL DRAFT – after April 3rd Board Meeting
LAKEWOOD ESTATES CIVIC ASSOCIATION, INC. BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I – NAME AND TYPE
The name of this Association shall be Lakewood Estates Civic Association, Inc. (hereinafter “LECA” or “the Association”).
This Association is and shall remain a non-profit organization, and no part of the net earnings hereof shall inure to any individual member.
The boundaries of Lakewood Estates shall be defined as follows: Lake Maggiore on the north, Dr. Martin Luther King Street South (formerly Ninth Street South) on the east, 31st Street South on the west, and 54th Avenue South on the south.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The purpose of this Association shall be:
1. to encourage and promote community pride in Lakewood Estates by providing a forum for neighborhood activity;
2. to be a voice for Lakewood Estates interest by acting as liaison with governmental bodies and with institutions, schools and businesses in and around our neighborhood, and to work with other neighborhood associations on common concerns;
3. to serve as a focal point for maintenance and improvement of institutions and facilities serving Lakewood Estates including parks, schools and public safety services;
4. to provide an avenue for neighborhood social activities;
5. to encourage and facilitate vigorous citizen participation regarding all issues that affect Lakewood Estates including but not limited to land use, zoning changes, traffic patterns and street modifications;
6. to help guide and insure reasonable managed growth of Lakewood Estates;
7. Other lawful purposes.
The Lakewood Estates Civic Association does not condone any form of discrimination, whether on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, national origin or sexual orientation. In addition, the organization will actively pursue policies that minimize conflict and promote understanding between all groups of people.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP
Household Membership: is open to any person eighteen (18) years of age or older who resides in or owns residential zoned property in Lakewood Estates and who has paid annual dues. Each Household Membership is entitled to one (1) vote per address at Membership Meetings regardless of the number of people living at that address.
Civic/Community Group/Association Membership: is open to groups located within the boundaries of Lakewood Estates who have paid annual dues. Each group or association is entitled to one (1) vote at Membership Meetings, regardless of the number of members in that group or association.
No person may have more than one vote.
Business Memberships are open to any business located within the boundaries of Lakewood Estates.
• Abide by the Lakewood Estates Civic Association (LECA) By-Laws
• Approve and participate in programs and services that will help ensure that the Lakewood Estates Civic Association’s purpose is accomplished
• Elect the Board of Directors
• Review and approve financial reports, as well as any additional expenditures
• Review and approve Board recommendations for the annual dues structure and amount
ARTICLE IV – BOARD, OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
Board of Directors
Number and Qualification: Lakewood Estates Civic Association shall be governed by a Board of Directors consisting of no less than four (4) members and no more than nine (9) members. To qualify as a director, a candidate must be a Voting Member of this Association for at least one (1) year and have attended three (3) out of the last five (5) Membership Meetings. Board members shall serve without compensation.
Duties: A director shall discharge his or her duties in good faith.
Term: Board members will be elected by the Voting Members to a term of two (2) years at the annual meeting. Terms will be staggered so that half of the Board members are elected in each year. Each director shall hold office for the term to which he or she is elected or appointed and until his or her successor has been elected or appointed and qualified. The term of office begins at the conclusion of the Annual Meeting.
Quorum and Voting: A simple majority of Board members shall constitute a quorum for doing business. Each Board member is entitled to one (1) vote. All business of the Board of Directors shall be transacted upon an affirmative vote by the majority of Board Members present and voting at a meeting where a quorum is present.
Removal of Board Members or Officers: Any Board member who fails to abide by these bylaws or who misses two consecutive Board meetings may be subject to removal by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote of the Board Members at a meeting at which a quorum is present.
Vacancies: Board vacancies will be filled by a majority vote of the Board of Directors at a meeting where a quorum is present. Successors will serve until the expiration date of the vacant position being filled, and then will be subject to election by the Voting Members.
1. Interpretation and enforcement of the Lakewood Estates Civic Association (LECA) By-Laws;
2. Plan, evaluate and oversee programs and services to ensure that the Lakewood Estates Civic Association’s purpose is accomplished;
3. Provide proper financial oversight to ensure that the Association’s purposes are met.
4. Ensure that the Association meets legal standards and ethical norms;
5. Retain and contract with persons or organizations needed to serve the Association;
6. Fill any vacancies on the Board;
7. Appoint, provide oversight and dismiss any committees needed to accomplish LECA’s purpose. Authorization for committees will be reviewed annually by the Board.
Qualification, Election and Term
The officers of the Board must be Board members and shall consist of a president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer. The Voting Members will elect the officers from among the newly elected Board members as part of the election process at the Annual Meeting. The term of officers shall be two (2) years. Terms will be staggered so that half of the officers are elected in alternating years. Each officer shall hold office for the term to which he or she is elected or appointed and until his or her successor has been elected or appointed and qualified.
Vacancies: Officer Vacancies will be filled by a majority vote at a meeting of the Board of Directors where a quorum is present. Successors will serve until the expiration date of the vacant position being filled, and then will be subject to election by the Voting Members.
• The President shall preside at all meetings of the Association and the Board and shall perform such duties as directed by the Board.
• The Vice President shall perform all duties as may be assigned by the President and shall be the presiding officer at meetings in the absence of the President.
• The Secretary shall be the official custodian of all records of the Association, shall keep the minutes of the Association and the Board, shall send all official correspondence in the name of the Association, and shall give all required notices. The Secretary shall present minutes of meetings to the membership for approval and may also make the minutes available for membership review on the Association’s web site. On an annual basis the Secretary will initiate a Board review of the Bylaws to determine if any amendments are required.
• The Treasurer shall keep and be responsible for all funds of the Association and shall keep the membership records. All funds shall be deposited in accounts in the name of the Lakewood Estates Civic Association, Inc. and shall be withdrawn or disbursed only by the Treasurer or another member of the Board who is an authorized signatory. The Treasurer shall ensure timely filing of the Association’s annual report with the Secretary of State.
ARTICLE V – BOARD MEETINGS
Board meetings shall be held as needed.
• The President must schedule a special meeting of the Board at the request of three or more Board members.
• Written and/or email notice of all special meetings stating the time, place and objective shall be given to the Board at least seven days before such meeting.
• Such special meetings shall be held no more than fifteen (15) days after the request is made
ARTICLE VI – MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS
Number: There shall be no fewer than four meetings of the Voting Members each year. Membership meetings are open to all members. Written and/or email notice of the meeting date, time and place shall be provided to voting members at least seven (7) days prior to each Membership Meeting.
Quorum and Voting:
• A quorum for the transaction of business at any Membership Meeting shall be a minimum of twenty-five (25) Voting Members.
• Each Voting Member is entitled to one (1) vote.
• All Membership Meeting business shall be transacted upon an affirmative vote by the majority of Voting Members present and voting at a meeting where a quorum is present.
• Absentee and proxy voting are not permitted.
Annual Meeting: The annual meeting will be held in January at a time and place approved by the Board of Directors. Board Elections will be held at the Annual Meeting. Notice of the meeting date, time and place shall be provided to voting members at least fifteen (15) days prior to the annual meeting.
Special Meetings: Special meetings of the Voting Members for any purpose may be called by:
• The President or, in the President’s absence, the Vice President, or
• The Secretary upon written request of twenty-five (25) Voting Members. Written and/or email notice of all special meetings stating the time, place and objective shall be given to the Voting Members at least seven (7) days before such meeting.
• Such special meetings shall be held no more than thirty (30) days after the request is made.
ARTICLE VII – MEMBERSHIP DUES
Structure and Amount – Dues classifications and dollar amounts will be reviewed annually by the Board of Directors. Recommendations for any changes will be presented at a Membership Meeting for a vote.
Payment of Membership Dues – Lakewood Estates Civic Association dues are payable annually in January with a grace period through March 31st. If dues have not been paid by March 31st membership shall be suspended pending payment. All Dues payments are non-refundable.
ARTICLE VIII – COMMITTEES
The Board may establish such committees as it deems necessary and advisable to accomplish Lakewood Estates Civic Association’s stated purpose.
ARTICLE IX –ELECTIONS
Election Committee: This committee is responsible for implementing and overseeing the Election Process
Number and Qualification: Every fall the Board of Directors shall select no less than three (3) members and no more than five (5) members to serve on the Election Committee. Committee members will consist of
• One (1) Board Member who is not currently up for election and who will Chair the Election Committee and
• Two (2) to Four (4) members will be selected from the Voting Members.
• The President is not eligible for membership on the Election Committee.
Duties: The Election Committee will be responsible for overseeing and managing LECA’s annual election process including soliciting and qualifying Board candidates, providing candidate information to all Voting Members prior to the elections and overseeing the entire election process. The Committee will also select 3 members to act as tellers to tally the vote at the annual election and report the results. The Committee will also ensure that proper procedures are followed during the election and that no campaigning takes place within 25’ of the entrance to the election venue. The duties of the Election Committee shall cease upon publication of the results of the election.
To qualify as a Board or Officer candidates must be a Voting Member of this Association for at least one (1) year and have attended three (3) out of the last five (5) Membership Meetings. All nominations must be submitted in writing, with the permission of the person nominated. Elections will be held at the Annual Meeting.
ARTICLE X – FINANCES
Fiscal Year: The fiscal year of the Association shall begin on the first day of January and shall end on the thirty-first (31) day of December.
• All funds raised by any association function or any committee or group activity shall become part of the general treasury of the Association.
• All LECA Association funds will be maintained in checking accounts in the name of the Lakewood Estates Civic Association established by the Board.
ARTICLE XI – AMENDMENTS
The Board Secretary will initiate a Board review of the Bylaws annually. If the Board determines that the association bylaws need to be amended they will establish and oversee the amendment process.
• The Board will provide the Voting Members with a copy of the proposed amendments at least ten (10) days prior to the Membership Meeting where the vote shall take place.
• Proposed amendments must be approved by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Voting Members at a meeting where a quorum is present.
• As part to the amendment review and revision process Voting Members may make recommendations to the Board. All recommendations must be received at least thirty (30) days prior to the deadline for providing the amendments to the Voting Members.
ARTICLE XII – DISSOLUTION
In the event that the Association becomes inactive or dissolved, all monies in its possession shall be distributed to a tax-exempt community-oriented institution or organization approved by a majority of the Voting Members.
Approved this ____ day of________________, 2018 _____________________________________